Saturday, June 13, 2009

A new blog!

Thought I'd give this blogging thing a whirl, and what better to write about than my (just about) only hobby: Magic, and more specifically, that most amusing of formats, Elder Dragon Highlander.



For those not in the know, EDH is a format where each player chooses a Legendary Creature as their General, and builds a 99 card (+1 General) deck, where each card (aside from basic lands) is unique in the deck, and only includes mana symbols also found on the General. For a more in-depth coverage of the rules, as well as the general nexus of the EDH community, check out the site run by the gurus of EDH (as well as of Magic in general, given their judgey nature) at http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~geduggan/EDH_rules.html



For this first blog, I thought I'd give a run-down of the deck I'd like to build next. Currently I use Garza Zol, Treva, and Vorosh as generals.



Now, I've been thinking about building a mono-color deck, but then I remembered something I cracked in a box of Conflux: A foil Progenitus. Progenitus. What a fatty. Protection from everything (even love. Poor Progenitus). 10/10 body...perfect general material.



It's also a great general for my play style, given that I greatly appreciate playing control. In fact, I so like playing control, that I've decided to take this deck to a whole new level: Creatureless EDH. Now, I know some of the EDH hardcore would be aghast at that idea: it reeks of combo and ruthlessness. But that's not what I want. I want to sling expensive spells, and be able to counter things. And kill things. And then beat down with Progenitus. I did that in Legacy...and it's exhilarating.



So, here's the beginning of my list. Still a lot more to come, but I've at least got the mana base down.



EDH: Progenitus

General (1)
Progenitus

Land (40)

Hallowed Fountain, Godless Shrine, Sacred Foundry, Temple Garden, Watery Grave, Steam Vents, Breeding Pool, Blood Crypt, Overgrown Tomb, Stomping Ground, Plains, Snow-Covered Plains, Island, Snow-Covered Island, Swamp, Snow-Covered Swamp, Mountain, Snow-Covered Mountain, Forest, Snow-Covered Forest, Mystic Gate, Fetid Heath, Rugged Prairie, Wooded Bastion, Sunken Ruins, Cascade Bluffs, Flooded Grove, Graven Cairns, Twilight Mire, Fire-Lit Thicket, Seaside Citadel, Arcane Sanctum, Crumbling Necropolis, Savage Lands, Jungle Shrine, Reflecting Pool, Exotic Orchard, City of Brass, Gemstone Mine, Reliquary Tower.

Also, I've decided that these spells have to be in the deck:

Cruel Ultimatum, Violent Ultimatum, Brilliant Ultimatum, Primal Command, Cryptic Command, Incendiary Command, Austere Command, Profane Command.

I'll update when I figure out what else I want in this monstrosity.

'Till then,

-Scout

No comments:

Post a Comment