Sunday, July 12, 2009

M10

A quick deviation from EDH today.

Today was the M10 prerelease at the local store. I'm not a fan of the new rules, nor a fan of the new dual lands, nor a fan of the "new" cards that are really just renamed old cards.

That being said, M10 is decent for limited. Could use a little more removal, but I suppose that's how it goes. White is good, especially with a lot of tribal synergy at common and uncommon. Red has Lightning Bolt at common, which is good, but is a little light on good critters. Black seems pretty solid if you can get a handful of removal and a couple of the good creatures. Green has fat, and more or less nothing else. Blue...is terrible.

Except drafting! If you can manage to be the only player drafting blue, an aggro plan using Illusionary Servant is really good. Seriously.

That being said, M10 has a really big big problem for limited: It's mythic rares are good. Really good. As in, almost all of them are blowouts in limited. At a rarity of 1/8 that of a normal rare, this is really bad for limited formats, as it makes the game more luck dependant, even in a skill testing format like draft. If a terrible player can open Master of the Wild Hunt and go to the house with it without thinking, it's bad for the game.

M10 is actually the first set that makes me think mythics actually are terrible for the game. I mean, I never really liked the concept...but this is just ridiculous.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not too impressed about the mythics either. I don't understand why they did that in the first place, I mean Planeswalkers in LRW were already rares, why make them Mythics? In my opinion M10 blows, I was really looking forward in Wrath of God or Damnation, but its alright I guess they made other cards that will do just as good.

    ReplyDelete